Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Teaching Luk

Beyond doing some learning on the computer alone, Luk usually likes for me to be right beside him when he is doing his reading. However, today we had to play catch up as we had an unexpected "off" day yesterday. So, after our Bible story (which I will talk about in a moment), we began on ETC. I set him up, and I began making lunch urging him to go ahead and start his lessons. He begins his reading, and stopping at the page of sentences.

Now, this is usually the worst time of the lesson. As he puts it, "I don't like sentences."  However, today he breezed right through without me even having to push him to try it out. I was very proud, and he had such confidence. He finished the rest of the pages with no problem and by himself (with only two times that he asked for clarity). It was nice to see him us his independence to read his sentences.

Now, our Bible lesson was on the Tower of Babel. Before we really got to that, I gave Luk a better understanding of our beautiful Compassion children:
 Smith (family)

Pataso (youth group)

We talked about where they lived in comparison to us, how they dress, their language, and their homes. Luk was sad that they were what we call in this country, "poor." Luk wanted to write, "I'm sorry you are poor." I informed him that they do not write things that would be hurtful to them. That everyone around them live like them. They do not even know really how we live. It was a moment for him. He was sad for them (he cried), but I was assuring him that he shouldn't be sad because they are apart of our family and we are helping them with opportunities. I showed him pictures of homes like Smith's, whose home is dirt floor, wood walls, and unknown roof. Pataso's home is made of bamboo flooring, bamboo walls, and roof made of leaves.

He seemed to take this to heart. He was very sensitive to this. We have talked about poverty and the way "our boys" live, but I'm not sure if it's age however his reaction was different about it today. I also showed him videos of people speaking their languages, which introduced the Bible lesson. Everyday we live in a world that is desensitized to true poverty, poor living conditions, etc. As Christians, we MUST sensitize our children to this. Life is so much more than about us. We must teach this.

We are blessed beyond measure, beyond what we deserve...

No comments: