Monday, May 31, 2010

Reflection: Psalm One and more...

Psalm One
1 Oh, the joys of those who do not
follow the advice of the wicked,
or stand around with sinners,
or join in with mockers.
2 But they delight in the law of the Lord,
meditating on it day and night.
3 They are like trees planted along the riverbank,
bearing fruit each season.
Their leaves never wither,
and they prosper in all they do.

4 But not the wicked!
They are like worthless chaff, scattered by the wind.
5 They will be condemned at the time of judgment.
Sinners will have no place among the godly.
6 For the Lord watches over the path of the godly,
but the path of the wicked leads to destruction.

Reson and I have had many recent convictions with worldliness. When you used to be persons that had a HUGE focus on what the world does, it consumes you. We are starting a Youth Discipleship Program with three of our youth this summer, and it has created a new drive in us. We wanted a program that would drive our kids, for the ones that wanted it. It is a journey through who Jesus really is ("Vintage Jesus"), into the plan he had for us as people ("I Kissed Dating Goodbye" & "And the Bride wore White"), and how we use that love to fuel our lives for Him ("Crazy Love").  Along with the reading of these three books (the guys won't read "And the Bride..."), they will walk through the New Testament, and have daily journal writing.
Reson and I decided we would do everything the same as what we have asked them. I wanted to have a more direct focus with the Bible so along with the New Testament, I'm starting Psalm. The first Psalm hit a cord really with me. You see, a whole new journey is awaiting these guys and us as we purge the worldliness out of our lives, and others just don't get it. I remember in High School not having many "core" friends (which I always thought "why do I need more?"), and it was mainly because I didn't have the urge to relinquish into peer pressure. Even Reson will say that people misread me (and even call me not so nice words) because if you aren't someone to bring me up spiritually, I don't want to be around your world. Do I care? No, but I know that if these kids take this thing seriously they are going to experience the life of friends not understanding their life with Christ. Now, let me straighten the comment of "I don't want to be around your world." I give the benefit of the doubt, but if there is a pattern in your life, I just prefer to hang alone.

I want to be the tree bearing fruit every season.
I want to delight in God's law.
I want my life to stay healthy, and I want my life to prosper.
I do NOT want to be worthless.
I do NOT want to be condemned.
I do NOT want to be led into destruction.

Interesting this is that all the do NOTs will happen of this world, but not with my Heavenly Father. I can handle that. I hope that through this journey with our three that they will learn this, and that Reson and I continue to grow in the word of God.

No comments: