Wednesday, December 8, 2010

I Desperately

need You! If you listen to the song that is currently playing as you read my blog you will hear those lyrics.

I can finally see
that you're right there beside me.

I am not my own

for I have been made new.
Please don't let me go
I desperately need you.


 Adam Young from Owl City speaks a great deal in truth in the lyrics of this song. If there is one thing that will get me to listen to someone's music is hearing sound truth. Even though not all of his songs are geared to his relationship with Jesus Christ, he gives a strong presence in this song, in his blog, and in his other songs there is a great deal phrases that lean to his Christianity. 

The truth behind this song is one that shows these factors to me:
1) When we have that revelation that God is leading our lives and that He has chosen us to do His work it should stop us in our tracks. You see, as my pastor has said numerous times once you SEE you can't turn back. You see, once you know that something is bad and see it you can't not see it anymore. The Christian walk is one that once God reveals to you truth you have a higher responsibility. There is no more, well I didn't know. No, there is not more of that. You now must sincerely repent and persevere through this world of sin, and do what you can (through the grace of God) to glorify the Father that has given you life.
2) Now that I can SEE, I am not my own woman; I have been made new through the blood that Jesus shed for my disgusting black sinful heart. That crimson stain of His holy sacrifice has made me into a new person, and it should consume who I am. In our Advent study today, we discussed Joseph's beautiful coat, and how his brothers ripped it off his body and poured blood all over it to show their father he was dead. That blood washed over that coat just as Christ blood washes over our sin filled lives. It is a true cleansing of our body, soul, and mind. You are not your own. Your body has been covered with the blood of Christ upon your revelation and following of Jesus.
3) You SEE, you are covered with the blood of Christ so that you do not have to bore the wrath of God, and NOW you must SEE that you cannot do anything without God the father, God the son, and God the Holy Spirit. We desperately need His salvation to cloak our unrighteousness so that we can even show a glimmer of righteous to a God and Son that have the ultimate glory and holiness.

A book that changed my ultimate thought process on how I am to perceive God is "The Knowledge of the Holy" by A.W. Tozer. 1) I still can't wrap my brain around it even though I have read it twice. Going for the third after the new  year. 2) If you need a more "laymen's" version check out Crazy Love by Francias Chan (first chapter) and Louie Giglio's How Great is Our God. Even then this guys just don't touch the way Tozer makes you feel about God's Holiness. They illustrate His magnitude compared to our pitiful existence, but Tozer's eloquence in his description of God is just... WOW.

Here is a piece of chapter one:
That our idea of God correspond as nearly as possible to the true being of God is of immense importance to us. Compared with our actual thoughts about Him, our creedal statements are of little consequence. Our real idea of God may lie buried under the rubbish of conventional religious notions and may require an intelligent and vigorous search before it is finally unearthed and exposed for what it is. Only after an ordeal of painful self-probing are we likely to discover what we actually believe about God.

Read it again. Think about it. Absorb it. That's the way the whole book is. Again as Adam writes, when we SEE God (for really only what are embarrassing brains can conceive) will we grasp Him never want Him to leave, and ask that we get more!  My thoughts for the evening and trying to wrap my brain around it! 

No comments: