Wednesday, April 28, 2010

"Breaking Bread like Jesus"

We have been bringing Luk into the church service with us for a month or so, now. He misses being in the nursery, but it was time that he moved into the big service. Well, it is with this transition that I have learned many lessons have to be taught. Our wonderful pastor was preaching on John 6 and how the disciples were grumbling about following Jesus. He went into how we are to follow Christ through all things, but could something happen to make you up and walk away from Him. In this he mentioned, Jesus was the "bread of life" and how Jesus mentioned the drinking of his blood. Yep... Luk takes his shoulder off of Reson, looks at me, and says, "Jesus wants us to drink his blood!" Yep. Good times. I whispered in his ear that Jesus did not mean that we are to really drink his blood, but that Jesus died on the cross for our sin. We need to know that his blood needs to be in our lives to go to Heaven.
It was through this topic that I decided I needed to talk to Luk about the Lord's Supper that we will be partaking in this Sunday.
So, I made an activity day out of it. Luk and I made bread. Before, we did this, I shared with him the story of Jesus and his disciples sharing their "Special Meal." Then, I showed him how the cook book worked and the ingredients.


Salt, shortening, yeast, very warm water, flour, mix, kneading, set to rise.
The dough rises double, cut in half flatten, roll up tight, put into a loaf pan, set to rise again, butter the loaf ("painting" as Luk says), bake. Luk loved seeing the finished product.
I was proud. This was my first time making bread (and not with a bread maker machine), and it turned out great! The same day I set to make a Pot Roast on the Slow Cooker, and it was quite yummy.
Once the table was set, and Reson got home he read the story of the "Special Meal" with Luk again. We taught him to eat bread remembering Jesus' body dying on the cross, and that the juice represents the blood he shed for us. It was a special moment! Luk told me today, "Mom, I have Jesus in my heart. Does Jack Sparrow have Jesus in his heart?" I replied, "Only Jack knows if he has Jesus in his heart." Luk retorted, "Well, I do!" It was a special conversation, and it brought a true happiness in my heart.

Here is our family communion...
I also had Luk make a mini book on the Lord's Supper. "The Special Meal" Luk put the food on the plate, a puzzle of a picture of Jesus with his friends, the 12 disciples, and "What else starts with..." C (for cup), B (for bread), and F (for fish).
All in All, this week has been a blessing to say the least.

No comments: