Saturday, February 27, 2010

My Blogit Entries Day 4: Childhood Cancer

About two years ago, I was told by a friend that a couple from my last church (when I lived in KY) were fighting the fight of cancer. Their three year old son had been diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. It is a cancer that is found in children that attacks the nervous system. Those that go into remission and relapse have a slim chance of survival and depending on the stage of the cancer it can be a 50/50 chance. In finding out about this young guy came the spider web of other cancer patients. My husband used to think that I was just torturing myself by reading the blogs of these parents, friends, family, etc. However, making me nervous, it is really something I do to pray for families. Not only that, it puts my two little ones into perspective. When I lose my temper, or when I think I can't handle another sleepless night, one of the families seem to post a blog about their experience.
 There have been different turn outs in each case. The original boy is in remission, and everyday his parents have to keep in mind that he could relapse, and then what? Death? He goes for check ups regularly.
Another family lost their little boy just a little over a year ago leaving behind an older sister that had to learn that her parents needed to be with her brother because they just didn't know when he would be gone. She took his death extremely hard.
Just recently, a three year old died after a two year fight with his cancer. He was the only child for this couple, who are now trying to build their marriage back up after night after night in St. Jude.
Another two year old's parents have just been told their is nothing more that can be done, but control the pain. He stays at home days with no eating or standing then days of great eating and wanting to play. His parents are just trying to prepare for how he will die.
In the past week, a mother died from breast cancer leaving her 5 and 7 year old boys and husband.
Today, a 20 year old that fought Neuroblastoma as a 12 year old relapsed. He was just informed today about how he will die. He has so many tumors in main areas of his body that it could be painful, fast or slow.The amazing thing is how he talks about how glorious God is. I would hope that if I were put in this situation, I would do the same. It puts my life in perspective.
 All of these families have many things in common, however there is ONE thing that they all write in their blogs...  "I HATE CANCER!" It decays their loved ones' bodies, and takes them away. They all encourage donations to find a cure because they don't want others to go through what they have. They are so selfless. They often say that they know their own child will pass, but they want a cure so that others don't have to experience the loss of a loved one from cancer.The site that I go to is www.caringbridge.org, if you are a prayer warrior, they appreciate the prayers.

 Steven Curtis Chapman, a Christian musician and father of 6 (the 3 youngest were adopted girls from China), lost his youngest daughter when his son came driving into the drive way ran her over by accident. He recalls a night that he was getting upset because he had songs to write for a deadline, and she and her sister were prolonging bedtime because they wanted him to sing and read to them. He didn't surrender, and later came the song Cinderella. He realized soon after what he did was selfish. He was grateful for that realization before her death.
A morbid and dreadful post, yes! However, I hope that it gives you perspective as it has done for my life. I can not understand what these families are going through, but I can change the way I see my life. The nights that my three month old is awake sick with a headcold, or my three year old prolonging bedtime for some needed attention, I count as blessings, not nuisances. I encourage you to love a little harder, hug a little longer, and remember what you have right in front of you.

No comments: