Thursday, June 3, 2010

Reflection: Psalm Four

Psalm 4
For the choir director: A psalm of David, to be accompanied by stringed instruments.
 1 Answer me when I call to you,
      O God who declares me innocent.
   Free me from my troubles.
      Have mercy on me and hear my prayer. 2 How long will you people ruin my reputation?
      How long will you make groundless accusations?
      How long will you continue your lies?
                         Interlude

 3 You can be sure of this:
      The Lord set apart the godly for himself.
      The Lord will answer when I call to him.
 4 Don’t sin by letting anger control you.
      Think about it overnight and remain silent.
                         Interlude

 5 Offer sacrifices in the right spirit,
      and trust the Lord.
 6 Many people say, “Who will show us better times?”
      Let your face smile on us, Lord.
 7 You have given me greater joy
      than those who have abundant harvests of grain and new wine.
 8 In peace I will lie down and sleep,
      for you alone, O Lord, will keep me safe.

When I read this yesterday, I couldn't help but think about how my anger has changed over the past few months. It was about three weeks ago that I was pretty upset with Reson. In the usually case, I would yell, get pretty angry, and you can guess the rest. Now, people will usually see me and think that I am feisty, however I think that I changed a LOT in this aspect. When this incident happened, I just stayed silent, and I let Reson go about what he was doing. This did not stop me from being upset, and the tears that flowed that day were still hot. However, I noticed that the silence was more effective. It was as if God used my silence to send a VERY direct message to Reson. He even mentioned it later that day. He didn't really like my silence. =) Yet, when I read the passage, and I saw verses 4-5 it spoke a great truth to me. Trust in the Lord and your silence will be great self control. He gives us such a peace, he is our safe keeper. If we allow Him to really work in our lives, if we really let Him in and surrender what we have... The reward is phenomenal!
My Wednesday night kids (3-5 grade) were so responsive to the lesson today as I went over Psalm One, and it is just a true testament that God is working in my life. Man, He is just so good.

David Crowder Band's song "How He loves us" is just a portion of what we can expect from our God.

He is jealous for me,
Loves like a hurricane, I am a tree,
Bending beneath the weight of his wind and mercy.
When all of a sudden,
I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory,
And I realize just how beautiful You are,
And how great Your affections are for me.

And oh, how He loves us so,
Oh how He loves us,
How He loves us all

Yeah, He loves us,
Oh! how He loves us,
Oh! how He loves us,
Oh! how He loves.

We are His portion and He is our prize,
Drawn to redemption by the grace in His eyes,
If grace is an ocean, we’re all sinking.
And Heaven meets earth like an unforeseen kiss,
And my heart turns violently inside of my chest,
I don’t have time to maintain these regrets,
When I think about, the way…

*****************************************
Man, love like a hurricane, that is intense! He is our prize, His grace redeems us, and just to think that He loves us that much is almost unbearable to accept. Good Stuff!

No comments: